Saturday, February 25, 2006

Poem about my rights - June Jordan

Poem about my rights was the first time I believed it when I heard someone say that they will resist white America (or whatever you care to call it) daily and nightly and that "you" better watch out cause it may very well cost you your life - and I actually believed her too. This was 6 years ago when I was being taught about women's rights from my exgirlfriend Margaret who was a women's studies major. Before that I hadn't really heard of women's rights. Weird.

Here's the ending of the poem, but if you wanna read the whole thing first it's here:
Poem about my rights by June Jordan

but let this be unmistakable this poem
is not consent I do not consent
to my mother to my father to the teachers to
the F.B.I to South africa to Bedford-Stuy
to Park Avenue to American Airlines to the hardon
idlers on the corners to the sneaky creeps in
cars
I am not wrong: Wrong is not my name
My name is my own my own my own
and I can't tell you who in the hell set things up like this
but I can tell you that from now on my resistence
my simple and daily and nightly self-determination
my very well cost you your life

No comments: